As employers take extraordinary steps to meet the needs of workers and customers during the pandemic, the Top Workplaces awards are recognizing those efforts.
Survey feedback from employees is the sole basis for determining Top Workplaces. And that feedback serves as the ultimate test of how employers are responding in the age of COVID.
“In times of great change, it is more important than ever to maintain a connection among employees,” said Eric Rubino, Energage CEO. “When you give your employees a voice, you come together to navigate challenges and shape your path forward based on real-time insights into what works best for your organization.”
This marks the eighth year the Democrat and Chronicle has partnered with Philadelphia-based Energage to rank the Top Workplaces in the Rochester metro area. The foundation of the program is a scientific survey of employees who rate their workplace culture. The feedback also gives companies insights about what makes them unique.
Watch live:2021 Rochester Top Workplaces awards
Combined, the companies surveyed for the 2021 program employed 11,088 in the Rochester metro area. Of employees who received questionnaires, 7,293 responded, either on paper or online. For 2021, 60 employers earned recognition as Top Workplaces.
The employee engagement survey of 24 questions gathers responses regarding issues relating to workplace culture:
- Alignment – where the company is headed, its values, cooperation, effective meetings
- Coaching – managers care about concerns, are helpful, encourage employee development
- Connection – employees feel appreciated, work is meaningful, working at full potential, feel informed
- Engagement – productivity, retention, recruiting
- Leadership – confidence in company leaders
- Performance – execution, open-mindedness, innovation, clued-in leadership
- The Basics – pay, benefits, work/life flexibility, training, expectations
Employers that score high enough are recognized as Top Workplaces. Employers are ranked within size groups to accurately compare results. Energage also determines special award winners based on standout scores on specific survey topics.
Wonder why a particular company was not on the list? Perhaps it chose not to participate, or it did not score well enough in the survey. Energage sometimes disqualifies employers based on questionable results detected through statistical tests it runs to ensure organizations are accurately administering the survey.
Large (400 or more employees in the region)
1. Hilton Central School District
2. Dorschel Automotive Group
3. Episcopal SeniorLife Communities
4. Spencerport Central School District
5. Gates Chili Central School District
6. HCR Home Care
7. Morgan Properties
Mid-size (125 to 399 employees in the region)
1. First American Equipment Finance
2. Rochester Presbyterian Home
3. Partners + Napier Inc.
4. REDCOM Laboratories
5. Butler/Till Media Services, Inc.
6. IDI Billing Solutions
7. Villager Construction, Inc
8. The Bonadio Group
9. Reliant Credit Union
10. Optimation Technology, Inc.
11. Home Leasing, LLC
12. CGI Communications, Inc.
13. Coast Professional, Inc.
14. Caledonia-Mumford Central School District
15. The Summit Federal Credit Union
Small (35 to 124 employees in the region)
1. Alliance Advisory Group, Inc.
3. GreenSpark Solar
5. Dermatology Associates of Rochester
6. Brighton Securities
7. INSERO & CO. CPAS, LLP
8. Northwestern Mutual of Rochester, NY
9. Flynn Agency LLC
10. Triple O
11. Omega Tool Measuring Machines, Inc.
12. Rupp Baase Pfalzgraf Cunningham LLC
13. Hewitt-Young Electric LLC
14. KJT Group, Inc.
15. Novem Group
17. Tactical Construction
18. Rochester's Cornerstone Group, Ltd.
20. Gryska Agencies
21. Campus Construction Management Group
22. Davie Kaplan, CPA, P.C.
23. Broadstone Net Lease, Inc
24. Fisher Associates, P.E., L.S., L.A., D.P.C.
25. Lacy Katzen LLP
26. Frontier Abstract and Research Services Inc.
27. John Betlem Heating & Cooling, Inc
28. ITX Corp.
29. Flaherty Salmin CPAs
30. Regional Distributors, Inc.
31. Upstate Roofing & Painting, Inc.
32. Ruby-Gordon Home
33. Logical Operations
34. Allied Financial Partners
35. Erie Construction
36. The Cabot Group
37. DGA Builders LLC
38. Foodlink, Inc.